Pygar's Shinki Comics

For Manga & Photocomics including Busou Shinki & Other MMS toys.

Moderators: Chaos Incarnate, puppylove

Pygar
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 10
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf

Re: Pygar's Shinki Comics

Post by Pygar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:54 pm

PlasticWaifu wrote:When I start working on more comics, I need to adopt your photo style. Must make it a lot easier.
Most of my strips are dialogue driven, so it's an approach that works for me. The characters don't move much except for changes in posture and head and arm position, so I try to communicate mood through that. The different styles of body language also set the characters apart. Evelyn, for example, usually stands with her feet apart in a wider, more aggressive stance than, for example, Michelle, whose stance is more demure. (Evelyn is also the only character who's left-handed, which somehow fits).

I use Linux on my computer, so I do all the photo work in GIMP, and the speech balloons in Inkscape. I like to use drop shadows on the individual frames and on the speech balloons, I think it gives the strip a more finished look.

Most of this I figured out by trial and error messing around on the computer. I still feel like there are things I'd like to do in Inkscape with the text effects that I don't know how to do yet, but I'm learning.

PlasticWaifu
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Oorbellen

Post by PlasticWaifu » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Pygar wrote:
PlasticWaifu wrote:When I start working on more comics, I need to adopt your photo style. Must make it a lot easier.
The characters don't move much except for changes in posture and head and arm position, so I try to communicate mood through that.
This is pretty much what I meant. I think the first comic I did was a little more towards this end but I think if I want to be able to actually produce something I can finish (as I know full well that finishing projects is my main issue) then I need to adopt something that is more to your style.

Pygar
Class S Shinki

Post by Pygar » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:29 pm

PlasticWaifu wrote:
Pygar wrote:
The characters don't move much except for changes in posture and head and arm position, so I try to communicate mood through that.
This is pretty much what I meant. I think the first comic I did was a little more towards this end but I think if I want to be able to actually produce something I can finish (as I know full well that finishing projects is my main issue) then I need to adopt something that is more to your style.
I usually try to get several strips done during the week. Depending on what else is going on I might do one a day for a while and then have to take a few days off. For me the hardest part is coming up with the strip ideas. I'll often try to weave things that happen during the course of my daily life into a strip. Other times I'll get ideas when I'm out hiking. Once I have the strip idea I'll write out a script. I've gotten to where I can actually get the photos done fairly quickly; putting them together into a strip and doing the lettering actually takes longer than taking them in the first place.

Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Post by Lock Cade » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 pm

LOL at Evelyn being all like "Nothing, nothing at all" after you finished explaining to her and Michelle what you were doing.

Pygar
Class S Shinki

Post by Pygar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Lock Cade wrote:LOL at Evelyn being all like "Nothing, nothing at all" after you finished explaining to her and Michelle what you were doing.
It's rare to get Evelyn at a loss for words, but sometimes I manage...

Pygar
Class S Shinki

It Slices, It Dices...

Post by Pygar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:51 pm

Evelyn working on another of her bizarre science projects.

PlasticWaifu
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Oorbellen

Post by PlasticWaifu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm

I really like that one.

Pygar
Class S Shinki

Post by Pygar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:45 pm

PlasticWaifu wrote:I really like that one.
Thanks. Evelyn's projects always make for fun strips. I try to write the dialogue so it reads as a matter-of-fact conversation about something completely bizarre.

Lock Cade
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 56
MMS owned: 4
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf, Partio

Post by Lock Cade » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:02 pm

LOL at "I hope you were planning to use those for guacamole, because that's what they are now."

Pygar
Class S Shinki

Post by Pygar » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Lock Cade wrote:LOL at "I hope you were planning to use those for guacamole, because that's what they are now."
Thanks. I had to laugh at that one too. I'm trying to imagine what an inside-out avocado would look like...