Sequinox
MMS Naked
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Gabrine

Re: Alex's Shinkis & Customs

Post by Sequinox » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

AlexG wrote:
Sequinox wrote:Those revolvers look great! It's really impressive that these days you can create a 3D model, send it to a company, and they can literally print out your model. I love technology these days!

I'm curious though, how hard it is to work in CAD? I've never done any sort of 3D modeling before, however I'm pretty well versed in paint programs such as Photoshop. Is there a really steep learning curve with 3D modeling?
thanks! 3d printing is awesome.

as for CAD i'm a very spacial thinker, so it's very easy for me, but for those who are not spacial thinkers it presents a very big challenge. Also, unlike photoshop where it's all about kinda making it up as you go, in CAD there are conventions to follow and requirements to meet before a model is actually useful for anything. there is a lot of knowledge required to be a successful modeler, but it doesn't really take a lot of effort to learn them if you enjoy modeling like i do. if you're interested, i also started a thread in toy discussion for these guns specifically and i've posted a few things about CAD there as well.

i hope that sheds some light on 3D modeling for you. :cheesygrin:

also, if you're thinking of trying to get into 3D modeling i'll warn you now, i don't know of any free software that comes anywhere close to the capabilities of the professional grade software i use, and the pro software isn't cheap by any means. the only reason i have it is because i can get a free student version through my university.
Thank you for the thread link! That's going to be really helpful in the future!

Yeah, I imagine getting CAD is an investment. Fortunately my husband and I have been talking about modeling for a while. It's always been a goal of his to begin 3D modeling so he can actually start creating his own toys. So building stuff for Shinkis actually seems like a good first step. I definitely don't know how well I would do with it personally, because I'm not a "technical" person at all, but I know my husband will be good at it.

I can't wait to see what other stuff you come up with!
FLICKR // DEVIANTART // [url=htp://figurestorm.wordpress.com/]BLOG[/url] // TUMBLR

AlexG
Class B Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf Mk2

Post by AlexG » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Sequinox wrote: Thank you for the thread link! That's going to be really helpful in the future!

Yeah, I imagine getting CAD is an investment. Fortunately my husband and I have been talking about modeling for a while. It's always been a goal of his to begin 3D modeling so he can actually start creating his own toys. So building stuff for Shinkis actually seems like a good first step. I definitely don't know how well I would do with it personally, because I'm not a "technical" person at all, but I know my husband will be good at it.

I can't wait to see what other stuff you come up with!
CAD is definitely an investment, so be sure to get one you (or your husband ;) ) will be happy with. if you are interested, the program i used for this is called solidworks and i would definitely recommend it. you can see some of the interface in the other thread. i would also warn that the common free 'CAD' software google sketchup's interface is vastly different from most pro CAD software, i personally can't even use sketchup efficiently because it works in such an odd way to me :*)
the thing with shinki parts is that they tend to be very tiny, which is both good in that the prints don't cost much, and bad in that it's difficult to print much detail at such a small scale and the parts tend to be very fragile.

i will certainly be creating more stuff for my girls and i'll be sure to post it here when i do, and i'm excited to see what you come up with as well.

feel free to ask me if you've got any questions, i'm always happy to help. and that goes for everyone, not just Sequinox :cheesygrin:
oOnyaOo wrote:Ah, I've wanted a second Dengeki Mao on an original Mao body for a while! But I can just live vicariously through your photos of your Mao. She's perfect!

Congrats on Vitulus as well! She seems to be a somewhat underrated shinki but she always looks amazing in photos I've seen.
Your guns look awesome too!
Thanks! i'm really happy with both of them.
Also check out Alex's WTB Thread and we'll see if we can strike a deal!

Sequinox
MMS Naked

Post by Sequinox » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:53 pm

AlexG wrote:CAD is definitely an investment, so be sure to get one you (or your husband ;) ) will be happy with. if you are interested, the program i used for this is called solidworks and i would definitely recommend it. you can see some of the interface in the other thread. i would also warn that the common free 'CAD' software google sketchup's interface is vastly different from most pro CAD software, i personally can't even use sketchup efficiently because it works in such an odd way to me :*)
the thing with shinki parts is that they tend to be very tiny, which is both good in that the prints don't cost much, and bad in that it's difficult to print much detail at such a small scale and the parts tend to be very fragile.

i will certainly be creating more stuff for my girls and i'll be sure to post it here when i do, and i'm excited to see what you come up with as well.

feel free to ask me if you've got any questions, i'm always happy to help. and that goes for everyone, not just Sequinox :cheesygrin:
I imagine the hardest part is waiting for the stuff you create to come in the mail! Everything I do is instant, so I know immediately what the mistakes are and I can then go in and fix it. With using Shapeways you have to wait for however long it takes to come in and hope that it's right otherwise you're waiting again. But I bet it's so worth it when it works out right.

I'll definitely be in contact with you when we really begin to work on stuff. It might be a couple of months considering we don't actually have that much free time currently.
FLICKR // DEVIANTART // [url=htp://figurestorm.wordpress.com/]BLOG[/url] // TUMBLR

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Re: Alex's Shinkis & Customs New Photos 4/20/14

Post by AlexG » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 pm

hey look! a wild photocomic!

Vitulus VS Strarf

can anyone spot Chao's cameo appearance?

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by AlexG on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinki_Crazed
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 1
MMS owned: 1

Post by Shinki_Crazed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:16 pm

That was funny :thumbsup:

Sequinox
MMS Naked

Post by Sequinox » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm

LOL I love the look of shame in the picture that they got caught.

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Shinki_Crazed wrote:That was funny :thumbsup:
Sequinox wrote:LOL I love the look of shame in the picture that they got caught.
Thanks! :schmetterling:
I'm still amazed at how much life and emotion these toys can express even with my meager posing abilities.

Also, I hope people have been reading my remarks in the last panel as playful rather than threatening. It's tough to convey that kind of thing in writing.

I may also have to get myself a better camera and editing software too, the cellphone camera and MS paint just don't do the girls justice...

oOnyaOo
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 14
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling and Partio

Post by oOnyaOo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Oh cute! I liked Chao's little cameo too. XD
They seem like a handful but in the best way possible! C=
Avalon Jane
| My Flickr | My Tumblr | My Facebook |
Keep Moving Forward

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:43 pm

oOnyaOo wrote:Oh cute! I liked Chao's little cameo too. XD
They seem like a handful but in the best way possible! C=
lol yeah they are, but then again, what group of shinkis isn't?

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:43 am

Just thought I'd share this little bit of cute with you all.

The girls all curled up in the crook of my arm watching TV:

If I get too many more shinkis they're gonna take over my other arm during TV time too! and then I'll have to take the picture with my toes :lol: