AlexG
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Strarf Mk2

Alex's Shinkis & Customs ~ New Photos 8/31/14

Post by AlexG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:36 am

Hi all,

I'm a pretty new member here and I recently got my first Shinki, Maochao! :oneofus:
I read some photocomics over on TFW2005 and couldn't resist Mao's cuteness. I've just got the one Shinki for now but I hope to get more if I can find them for a decent price which seems next to impossible nowadays.

Right now I've just got the cellphone camera and it's not likely that I'll be buying a better camera anytime soon so, sorry for the poor quality.

Mao: Yippee! new toy! new toy!

A few days after receiving Mao, it struck me that she, and any other future Shinkis, needed a motorcycle. So I headed to the nearest TRU and picked up this sports-bike from a cheap GI-joe toy, the cobra dude that it comes with is horribly small for the bike, but the bike is the perfect size for Shinkis! somewhere around 1:15 scale. Turns out these things are actually all over the place for around $10. the first thing i did was tare it apart and remove the pull-back motor and stupid missile launcher (hence a huge hole in the nose of the bike) and the silly looking windscreen. Then I decided the black and red color scheme had to go, attempted to spray paint white directly over the black (like an idiot) and failed miserably, so I painted everything gray and colored the seat black and there we are, a generic sports-bike for Mao to play with. I will definitely be repainting it yet again sometime in the future to have a color scheme similar to Mao's.

*gratuitous pervy shot*

i also had some spare Gundam arms laying around and they just happen to fit Mao's bicep pegs (with the help of some masking tape :P )

Mao: I found these... do you think they'll fit?

COME AT ME, BRO!

She seems to like them so much I might have to go out and buy her some Gundam armor :D

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed the pics!
Last edited by AlexG on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
Also check out Alex's WTB Thread and we'll see if we can strike a deal!

oOnyaOo
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 14
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling and Partio

Re: AlexG's Shinkis (Pic Heavy)

Post by oOnyaOo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:05 am

Congrats on your first shinki! MaoChao's a lovely choice!
The bike really suits her!
Avalon Jane
| My Flickr | My Tumblr | My Facebook |
Keep Moving Forward

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:26 am

oOnyaOo wrote:Congrats on your first shinki! MaoChao's a lovely choice!
The bike really suits her!
Thanks, I also think the bike suits her well.

update time!

looking forward to receiving my Altlene this week, but in the mean time, here's some of mao's shenanigans :lol:

Pic of some of my recent acquisitions:

Mao isn't new, but her shins are! as well as the adapters for her Gundam arms. Neither is the bike, just a new paintjob.

More pics here if you're interested in how some of this is done.

I also picked up my first Gundam ever, with no intention of using it for customization parts. It's a 1/144 High Grade Genoace Custom. I bought it purely because I like the way it looks, I've never followed Gundam anime or anything, so I know nothing about this character other than the fact that he looks cool and is pretty poseable. I picked it up at a cool little import store in seattle called "international models"
they've got all sorts of Japanese import stuff including Figmas, Tamiya models, and others, but sadly no shinkis :vitulus:. I didn't really expect them to, but it would have been a pleasant surprise.

So I finally got around to painting the bike, and failed again, so I've given up on the idea of having a color matched motorcycle for Mao and just grabbed some paints I had lying around and came up with this:

It'll do until I can get a better venue for spray-painting and a lot more patience.
Mao seems to like it anyway.

I also grabbed a chunk of packing foam and made a little seat for Mao. it's pretty crude and rough right now, eventually i'll upholster it ... somehow...

Yikes this one doesn't look great...oh well, it's soft and comfy anyways.

Thanks for looking, and hope you enjoyed the photos!

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:01 am

Just a quick armor update,

I picked up a 1/144 HG Adele Diva colors recently and the legs are just made for shinkis! all I had to do was drill out a polycap to the right size for the thigh peg and presto! they fit well and provide a massive array of poseability, including many highly dynamic poses. no camera trickery here, every pose is 100% supported by the figure, no hidden stands or photoshop. Enjoy!

Mao defeats the Adele and steals it's legs!

Got a little Captain in you?

oOnyaOo
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 14
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling and Partio

Post by oOnyaOo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 am

The legs look really good on her proportion wise! A lot nicer than the paw ones she comes with. Good job!
She looks like she can get up to a lot more mischief now. XD
Avalon Jane
| My Flickr | My Tumblr | My Facebook |
Keep Moving Forward

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Re: Alex's Shinkis & Customs

Post by AlexG » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 pm

oOnyaOo wrote:The legs look really good on her proportion wise! A lot nicer than the paw ones she comes with. Good job!
She looks like she can get up to a lot more mischief now. XD
Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of Mao's original armor, not Mecha enough for me, but still a great toy. Fortunately, she only got to borrow the legs from the Adele, so she's not too much of a handful yet. Eventually I'll get her a pair, but by then I'll have Strarf to keep an eye on her ;)

Speaking of which! I recently scored a Strarf Mk2 from Mandarake for $125 shipped! She landed in San Fransisco this after noon, and should be up here in Washington in a day or two.
Now my problem is going to be finding an Arnval Mk2 for as good a price, I'm likely to end up buying a BM set and selling off the extra Strarf, I'll post a thread here first before going to ebay or amazon, so keep an eye out!

Not much in the way of photo updates, but here's a couple of snaps of some half-@$$ed shinki furniture made from packing foam and upholstered in masking tape :biggrin:

colored black using a sharpie in a not-so-well ventilated room...closest i have ever come to huffing :P

let dry/cure thoroughly before use, otherwise it leaves marks.

I'm definitely never going to use a marker on furniture again. It turned out ok, but it was a stupid idea.

Have a good one!

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 am

Mao's a great shinki, I just wish her upper armor had more pose ability in the arms.

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:56 am

Finally got my Strarf MkII last Friday, sadly haven't done a photo shoot yet so no new pics of her, but i must say the MMS 3rds really are considerably more poseable than the firsts and generally look a bit better although i think i prefer the MMS 1st style elbows and arms (not the spacers, mind you) over the slightly bent looking MMS 3rds.
anyways! when i opened her up i discovered a complete lack of hand guns, and thus decided to remedy the problem...through CAD and shapeways!
after about 6 hours worth of modeling this is what i have come up with:

The Cylinder (highlighted piece) is given clearance all around and a shaft with clearance such that, if printed properly, the cylinder will spin! although at shinki scale there is very little chance the parts will stay separated...

i am currently waiting on the first prints from shapeways, should be here around April 12th or 13th.
If anyone is interested in buying a set of these i'd be happy to make it for sale once I get any bugs worked out. a set of 4 revolvers at shinki scale in Frosted ultra detail is like $7.50 +shipping. i'd also be happy to change the scale if you've got a different toy in mind, however best to only go larger.

i'm also open to suggestions as to what i should model next, so give me some ideas! and it's not limited to only weapons either.

Cheers!
Last edited by AlexG on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexG
Class B Shinki

Post by AlexG » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 pm

AH-HA!!!!

Time for Strarf's first photoshoot! :headbang:
I've had her for a few weeks now, but never had a chance to get any good photos till now. I absolutely love her! she is awesome, although she can never match Mao in the 'inherent cuteness' department. Now, I don't usually name my Shinkis, but for some reason the name 'Strarf' just doesn't work for me... but I can't think of any shortenings or names I like that fit with her being a Shinki (trying to avoid generic human girl names like Jeniffer and Katie) and the personality I imagine she has. I'd love to hear some suggestions people might have for me! Otherwise I might end up calling her 'Hina'...and no one wants that lol

wups! pay no attention to the guy in the reflection...

good god! this one took forever to balance with her little ninja feet!

In other news, the little crappy pieces of furniture I made for Mao have become obsolete! and with more girls on the way in the near future I decided it was time to upgrade to a full size couch! It should be able to seat four Shinkis relatively comfortably, five if they wanna squeeze together. Again, made from packing foam and again un-upholstered...I may get some kind of upholstery/fabric paint and attempt to give it a skin but it's unlikely.

Mao's Furniture Fort!

and now for a little bit of photo comicry! courtesy of MS paint :lol:

Well hey, I'm no Art or Lit major, so what'd you expect? :biggrin:

RokuShinkiMaster
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 15
MMS owned: 21
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Raptias, Proxima,

Post by RokuShinkiMaster » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 am

LOL! poor mao. ^_^;
Such Cute Pictures! :thumbsup: