Moderator: Caterwaul

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Re: Wave 12 - Violin and Guitar

Post by halconfenix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:36 pm

at least you havent paid for them..... i got the shipping confirmation on september 30... those 2 should be already here by now...

that's the bad thing about SAL: the waiting games gets annoying after the usual 2 weeks...

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:47 am

Ugggh, Razz's key broke off inside her base. Can't get her lights on now. =/

Took the base apart to see if I could salvage the plastic bit and glue it back onto the key, but I can't find it now... dang! I wonder if it's just that the plastic bit completes the circuit.

The_Hermit
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Mary Celes

Post by The_Hermit » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Sonja wrote:Ugggh, Razz's key broke off inside her base. Can't get her lights on now. =/

Took the base apart to see if I could salvage the plastic bit and glue it back onto the key, but I can't find it now... dang! I wonder if it's just that the plastic bit completes the circuit.
That sounds... serious. And there's problems with a undrilled hole on Sharatan too, so maybe the QC on these isn't too great.

Hylian Pirate
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 31
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Hylian Pirate » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:50 pm

To be fair, Razz's pick and Sharatang's head piece (their light keys) are made of clear plastic. Clear plastic is pretty well known for being brittle. That may not be so much of a QC issue than a common problem with the plastic used. In retrospect, they probably should've gone with smoky plastic for the keys instead of clear. Now, my missing hole, on the other hand...

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Yes, clear plastic is terribly brittle, it shocked me when it snapped but I shouldn't have been that surprised.

I also had to shave down one of the pegs on the belt/strap pieces Razz has because the end wouldn't fit into her headgear - it was too big.

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Sonja wrote: I wonder if it's just that the plastic bit completes the circuit.
hmm, plastic isnt realy a conductor so i doubt it completes the circut but the key might push some wires together that are inside of her when its turned to a certain degree. if the key itself completed the circut, the electricity would run though the entire key and shock you when you touched it, electrically anyways

The_Hermit
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Mary Celes

Post by The_Hermit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Hylian Pirate wrote:Clear plastic is pretty well known for being brittle. That may not be so much of a QC issue than a common problem with the plastic used. In retrospect, they probably should've gone with smoky plastic for the keys instead of clear.
Still, it's something they should've seen coming.
It could have been tested easily too.

anyhoo, still waiting for Sharatan to be restocked. I finally got my pay and now she's nowhere to be found...

Sonja
Class S Shinki

Post by Sonja » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:49 pm

star wrote:
hmm, plastic isnt realy a conductor so i doubt it completes the circut but the key might push some wires together that are inside of her when its turned to a certain degree. if the key itself completed the circut, the electricity would run though the entire key and shock you when you touched it, electrically anyways
Good point. I'll have to take a look at it when it isn't so late. I can perhaps solder them into an 'on' position.

star
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Ianeira

Post by star » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:00 am

Sonja wrote:
star wrote:
Good point. I'll have to take a look at it when it isn't so late. I can perhaps solder them into an 'on' position.
what does solder mean? (im not very mechanically inclined, i just know about circuts and how not to shock myself and stuff)

Hylian Pirate
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 31
MMS owned: 1
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Hylian Pirate » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Soldering (say: "soddering") is where you take a hot soldering iron and a soft metal compound, usually lead based, and melt it onto electrical wires to merge or mend them while still promoting conductivity. Other than wires, it can also be used on other small meetal fixtures that you don't plan on eating or drinking from. You know, lead poisoning and such. In which case you use a gold-based compound because that won't kill you. It's almost like mini-welding... sort of...