Vorpal Engineering - Custom Maid Shinkies - Ranalcus Work

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

rubixbox
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 4
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: You mean owned or..?

Re: Vorpal Engineering - Custom Maid Shinkies - Ranalcus Wor

Post by rubixbox » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

That's pretty interesting. Although, unless you have some eye decals, I would have kept Zel's eyes because Anime-style eyes would be difficult to make at that small a scale.

Adventwings
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 11
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka

Post by Adventwings » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 am

Ranalcus wrote:Will be placing a small LED in a energ shield be a OVERKILL?
Like in this one
Looks fine enough, though if the shield's the only gear with LED lighting, it might not match up with the rest of the shinki if you can't "splash" some light back to illuminate the rest of her body.

I would recommend eye decal as well. It's a pain to hand-paint the eyes well, especially on something so small.
<<Should you fail, try and try again.>>

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:03 pm

I support the LED idea. I've seen some awesome WH40k figures with LEDs, and they tend to work very well for energy shields. I would say to take some inspiration for ZeroEdge's stuff on what you can do as far as customization goes.

Also, to save Ranalcus the time, he already said he was going to use eye decals.

Ranalcus

Post by Ranalcus » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:51 am

First time painting with airbrush. Sadly flesh clored parts went bad. Black is good.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:01 pm

You should prime it before using light colors.
I recommend using white primer, then test skin colors somewhere else before painting the Shinki. "Fleshtone" is that wierd color, just like fleshtone band-aids (no one has that skin color! so why make it?! O_o ) not really anime-esque light skin color, which I suppose is what you want, so you'll need to find a better color for that.

Ranalcus

Post by Ranalcus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:30 am

So I need to repaint her. Sand down the flesh colors, prime it and then paint it with more natural color?

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:05 am

If you want to avoid sanding down again, you might be able to use some sort of paint stripper, depending on what type of paint you used. Be careful about that, though; some paint strippers can also warp or even dissolve certain types of plastic. Again, you should probably test on something you don't care about to make sure it works; perhaps the sprue used for holding the little bitz that come with Shinkis?

Chilmark
MMS Naked

Post by Chilmark » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Rubbing alcohol and scrubbing with a magic eraser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam, they're a pretty common housekeeping item) is a safe/effective way to remove paint. Shinki bodies are made of polystyrene and the hands and feet are vinyl, so you'll need acrylic primer instead of enamel. The primers sold for plastic wargaming miniatures are durable and plastic-safe.