RP88's Current/ Future Projects

For pictures & videos or created works such as Signatures, Avatars & Wallpapers.

Moderator: Chaos Incarnate

nascar241993
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka, Mizuki

Re: RP88's future projects

Post by nascar241993 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am

Loving the progress!

Keep up the awesome work! :D

royalpain88
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by royalpain88 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Big update time again. YEAH! :thumbsup:

During construction, one of my walls warped severely. Plans to correct it were mostly successful.

The beginnings of the roof.

The top portion on the shrine.

A shot of the front. I know, the stairs are not aligned.

Mia is inspecting the beginnings of the roof.

The wall again. This was taken before the correction was made.

The rough beginnings of the roof.

A shipment of something came in.

I love model railroading. I can find all sorts of weird and nice stuff I can use.

The doors went in.

The roof work continues.

Building this shrine has been and still is a steep learning curve. The offness of the roof tilt has been corrected.

And planking of the roof has started at the time of these photos.

As seen, Mia has plenty of headroom.

Updates as they come.
Gentlemen do prefer blonde's.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Fri May 31, 2013 8:25 am

This is great! I've always liked working with wood, but it's been over a decade since I last worked with it (I remember the sweet smell of fresh wood...). Maybe I should build some dioramas for photos. Care to share tips and materials?

Ranalcus

Post by Ranalcus » Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 pm

Donation Box where are thou?

royalpain88
Class S Shinki

Post by royalpain88 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Shiaoran wrote:This is great! I've always liked working with wood, but it's been over a decade since I last worked with it (I remember the sweet smell of fresh wood...). Maybe I should build some dioramas for photos. Care to share tips and materials?
The only thing I can mention right now is A: Have a detailed plan of what you want to build. I build large 18 inch by 11 inch grid paper and I try to draw at 1:1 scale. At times, I have to scale it down to 1:2 scale to 1:4 scale.
B: I use super glue but at times, it dries too quick pending upon atmospheric conditions.
C: Cut your wood accurately and take your time when cutting. I cut my left thumb good on this project thanks to an x-acto knife.
D: PATIENCE! I slightly rushed the shrine's build. It also doesn't help that THIS is the first time I built anything like this. The 2nd one that will be built to sell will be SO much better.
E: Build on a level surface. The kitchen table I am building on is made up of 3 sections that are off by 1/16 on an inch. It's just enough at times to throw me off.
F: After cutting your wood, take a finger nail file as I call them and file off any bits of wood that are hanging off of the edge where you just cut.

As of right now, that is all I have to share. I am open for any questions you all have for me.
Ranalcus wrote:Donation Box where are thou?
I was thinking of having one when I find a site for my web photo comic series "Hopes and Dreams." It's a shame that throwing money at the screen doesn't work.
Last edited by royalpain88 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nascar241993
Class A Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka, Mizuki

Post by nascar241993 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:16 am

royalpain88 wrote:I cut my left thumb good on this project thanks to an x-acto knife.
You aren't the only one who had a thumb injured by an X-Acto knife, except, instead of cutting wood, I was cutting cardboard for an art assignment in my Sophomore year of high school.

Other than that, I'm liking the progress of your shrine.

Ranalcus

Post by Ranalcus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 am

*Insert IOSYS*
Neko Miko RP88 we love you
Neko Miko RP88 what are you doing?
Neko Miko RP88 staggeringly drunk
Neko Miko RP88 and, of course, aimless
*Extract IOSYS*

And now SERIOUS:
Is that Balsa wood, or something different?

Klinkin
Class S Shinki
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Eukrante

Post by Klinkin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 am

royalpain88 wrote:I cut my left thumb good on this project thanks to an x-acto knife.
A project isn't truly yours until some of your blood has gone into it. Did the same thing on a final project this semester when I was cutting protoboards.

Shiaoran
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 47
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Altlene

Post by Shiaoran » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the tips.
What I have the most questions about are the type of wood and paint. I don't know if any wood is durable or easy to work with, and if any kind of paint will be fine on the wood.

royalpain88
Class S Shinki

Post by royalpain88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Ranalcus wrote:*Insert IOSYS*
Neko Miko RP88 we love you
Neko Miko RP88 what are you doing?
Neko Miko RP88 staggeringly drunk
Neko Miko RP88 and, of course, aimless
*Extract IOSYS*

And now SERIOUS:
Is that Balsa wood, or something different?
Oh stop, you're making me blush. :*) This is a budget project. Meaning I am using whatever I can find. It is a mix of balsa and bass wood. The planking are popsicle sticks. Not the best material to use for decking but with practice comes perfection.
Klinkin wrote:
A project isn't truly yours until some of your blood has gone into it. Did the same thing on a final project this semester when I was cutting protoboards.
I had put in by blood and some sweat and thankfully no tears into this project.
Shiaoran wrote:Thanks for the tips.
What I have the most questions about are the type of wood and paint. I don't know if any wood is durable or easy to work with, and if any kind of paint will be fine on the wood.
As mentioned earlier, I have used bass and balsa and popsicle sticks. For the size of this project, the balsa wood is doing a real good job. The walls had to of been made on the cheap but not that cheap so I used cardstock paper. When I make to sell, they will be made out of styrene plastic walls and balsa wood. Still will use the popsicle decking method.

To answer yours, for durability, it be bass wood but bass is kind of hard to cut unless the cutting blade is new and sharp. Plus it's a bit more expensive. For economy and easiness, bass wood. However, some brands are too cheap and quality varies. I have came across some balsa that was near bass in toughness and some that was as soft as tissue paper.

For paint, I use acrylic paints. Nothing fancy is needed and cheap. However, for individual pieces that are not secured, it will warp it. Depending upon how heavy the paint layer is and how damp the air is and how soft the wood is, it should return back to normal. So I recommend two things. A: buy a cutting mat. I should have one for when I use my x-acto but don't. The table is cut to no end and B: Pins. Small pins to hold the wood when paining so it remains straight.

The decking that will be seen will be wood stained and then dry brushed to make the wood appear more aged. At least that is the plan.

For glue, it's all been super glue or as the bottle says, cyanoacrylate. That's a mouth full. Updates as they happen.