Moderators: Deviant Anomaly, halconfenix

waerd
Class B Shinki
Shinkis owned: 31
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Benio

Re: Waerd's Little Gang

Post by waerd » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:10 pm

I said I had a few more goodies to show off, so here goes.
To begin with, I found an Ultimate Bumblebee yesterday at a local thrift store. As far as I can see, he is missing a missile and his facemask; aside from that he works, with sounds and lights in car mode, and movement as well in robot mode. Not bad for $12. Since my son asked, Howling got to assist with showing him off and giving a size reference.

All in all, a pretty decent size for a Busou's big buddy. Although the doors do open, there is no interior to put anyone in. All the same, I like the way she compares in that shot.

Next up, we have another cheap find. I picked up a Major Powers Star Fortress set for $2.50 at a consignment sale, mostly due to the sliding door. If I get rambunctious enough later, I think a bit of a repaint would greatly improve the set and make it look less like a young child's toy (which it is, of course.) Nontheless, it has a few decent features, and it sizes well for the girls. Howling got a little help from Drossel for this set.

The repair bay, with Drossel on the other side of the door.

The Command room, which has a decent little map setup.

This set is not perfect, but if you can find one cheap, I think it has possibilities.

I have another item to share, but I think it deserves its own post. More to come. Enjoy.

waerd
Class B Shinki

Looking for display seating?

Post by waerd » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I found an item at the local Dollar store a while back, and bought one. I found more at a different store recently, and bought a bunch more because they work so well. I don't have room to display my girls in armor, and I like to have them all at my desk, so seating them is preferable so they don't fall down a lot. I was using whatever I could scrounge, but Tech Deck has given me an alternative. Thanks to Harmony Grace, Pomock, and Partio for demonstrating.

Not much from the bottom, but you have to get the railings out to install them.

Turned over, with a railing in place for display, you can see the bench.

With decals removed, and the rails installed, it is ready for use.

As you can see, the step size is not too bad, and with just a little effort, you can seat seven girls on each set.

Finally, as a bonus, here is my computer desk. If you look closely, you might be able to see the three benches I am using now.

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Post by Caterwaul » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:15 am

...I think having all those Shinki staring at me would make me nervous...

OHWceta
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 9
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Masurao

Post by OHWceta » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am

Aww.. I want a Shinki house and laboratory!!!!!

where do you get this stuff?
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

http://roleplayparadiseii.forumotion.com/forum.htm

waerd
Class B Shinki

Post by waerd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 pm

I have a bad habit of looking at things with the girls in mind, and since the wife is fond of consignment sales, we get to a bunch of them. We also hit Goodwill and the Salvation Army store, and you can occasionally find something there with possibilities. I actually have what I think is a pen holder, which I plan to use as the base for a charger chair. I just liked the way it looked. The fu dogs are from a shop at the mall. As to the dollhouse, you can find them on ebay, and it just becomes a matter of catching one cheap (if you can.)
I almost picked up another house two nights ago for $19, but I decided I didn't have a good place to keep it. Just keep your eyes open, and all sorts of goodies come up.
Actually, I need to take some pics of the girls with my muppets playsets, especially the Swine Trek bridge. The size is a pretty good match. And just think of the possibilities when Mao meets Beaker in Muppets Labs.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Sat May 01, 2010 11:12 am

I see, I always feel wierd going into the doll section, me being a guy and all.

I do have an original power Rangers command center and a Star Wars Naboo Hanger (though my Halo figures stole the Naboo Hanger). They just don't make playsets like they used to.
Like to RP? Check out my site, it needs members, all are welcome. If we don't have something you like feel free to add it.

waerd
Class B Shinki

Post by waerd » Sat May 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, I used to dabble mostly in 1:6 figures, GI Joes and then into CY Girls, so I haunted the dreaded "Pink Aisle" a fair amount, trying to find the occasional thing that would be acceptable. I think the key is partly the realization that people really don't care what you are doing (if they even notice you, they will prolly think you are looking for something for a child or younger relation) and largely an attitude that you really just don't give a ____ about what people think. I got to that point about everything a long time ago. For that matter, I get a laugh out of my mother-in-law. She comes over from time to time to use our computer to pay a bill, and she complains to my wife about the girls on the desk, since she feels it is just not normal and it is weird for a man to collect these sorts of toys. As far as I am concerned, that amounts to bonus points LOL.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Sat May 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Some Customer where I work found a really good aircraft carrier playset, some rescue heroes thing, it would have made a great display base.

I never have any luck finding those things anywhere and I've been all over goodwills, thrift stores, and garage sells (I can't find any that sell toys, it's always clothes and furniture)

waerd
Class B Shinki

Post by waerd » Sun May 02, 2010 12:08 am

That Major Powers set is not Rescue Heroes, but the figures are almost the same in size and build. Those sets are a good possibility. The consignment sales seem like a better chance to get decent toys, since so often the stuff that makes it to Goodwill is "well-used." You might want to try an ebay search for Fisher Price dollhouse just to see what varieties they have released. I almost talked myself into that second one the other day, since it was one of the better ones.
I really don't like most of the furniture FP does for their dollhouses, since it is way too bulky, but their stuff is sold for kids' toys, so that is to be expected. Of course, I like that aspect of the house, since it is sturdier and easier to move around that way. The rooms are small, and if I do kit them out a bit (I have seen a couple decent sites about making couches and chairs from cardboard and fabric and such) I would prolly need a second one just to handle the numbers. I think a lot of the other finds are just luck and the fact that we hit the Goodwill about once a week, and the other place just a little less often. I have not tried, but Craigslist might be another option to use, and maybe even Freecycle.

OHWceta
Class S Shinki

Post by OHWceta » Sun May 02, 2010 12:52 am

What's a consignment sale?

oh, and BTW. 1/12 Dollhouse stuff should work well with Busou Shinki figures. Though it can tend to get a little pricey (20$ for the corner couch I want. I just LOVE corner couches)

I see a lot of webcomics use them.