How about we make an English Battle Rondo wiki?

For help & discussion of Battle Rondo.

Moderator: Sword

Caterwaul
News Reporter
Shinkis owned: 0
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling

Re: How about we make an English Battle Rondo wiki?

Post by Caterwaul » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Automatic translators are horrible for the most part. English is built completely different from Japanese, and even experienced translators sometimes have problems. It becomes an extra special problem with katakana. That's used for foreign words, so any translator needs to look at the sounds represented, figure out which language it's drawing from, and then try to piece together the actual word. On top of this, there's no hard and fast rule while doing so. Babelfish didnt come up with anything either, BTW.

Kanji can have multiple meanings, which is another issue with automatic translators..they're not good at reading context. Mao's 研爪 are a pair of huge claws. While 研 can mean study or research, its other definition of 'grinding/rubbing' makes more sense. A less literal translation would probably be 'sharpened claws' actually, now that I think about it. According to JDIC '爪を研ぐ' is 'To sharpen one's claws', and it uses a familiar pair of characters there. Anyone know Chinese who'd want to chime in?
Last edited by Caterwaul on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:50 pm

Murmeltier equipment added, with the usual 'I dont know German' warning.
Started work on Asuka's list.

Rinkun
Class C Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
MMS owned: 2
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval

Post by Rinkun » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Caterwaul wrote:Automatic translators are horrible for the most part. English is built completely different Japanese, and even experiences translators sometimes have problems. It becomes an extra special problem with katakana. That's used for foreign words, so any translator needs to look at the sounds represented, figure out which language it's drawing from, and then try to pierce together the actual word. On top of this, there's no hard and fast rule while doing so. Babelfish didnt come up with anything either, BTW.

Kanji can have multiple meanings, which is another issue with automatic translators..they're not good at reading context. Mao's 研爪 are a pair of huge claws. While 研 can mean study or research, its other definition of 'grinding/rubbing' makes more sense. A less literal translation would probably be 'sharpened claws' actually, now that I think about it. According to JDIC '爪を研ぐ' is 'To sharpen one's claws', and it uses a familiar pair of characters there. Anyone know Chinese who'd want to chime in?
i think you better off translate 研爪 into "Slash claw" sometime raw translation just isn't that good.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Finished Asuka's equipment entry.

Asuka REALLY likes birds.
Went with the "Plover' translation for Chidori as it fits her naming theme a bit better.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:43 pm

After a weekend break, I put in Mizuki's equipment.
http://battlerondo.wikia.com/wiki/Ninja_Type_Mizuki

If anyone happened to save any of Mizuki's artwork or has a good quality scan of it from the box, I need something I can crop for a decent portrait image.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Zero_Blazer wrote:The reason I made a battle rondo one was because the Japanese one it's supposed to be based on is also a Battle Rondo one. There wasn't much thought process in it.
Soooo. Thinking about it (since I'm almost done filling in equipment entries), would you really complain if we opened it up as a general Shinki wiki?

blade_anime
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: All of mine

Post by blade_anime » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I think opening it up as a general shinki wiki would actually be a great idea. And it's a shame they aren't called Research nail, as in my opinion, that's a pretty awesome weapon name.

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm

Fubuki equipment entry done.
http://battlerondo.wikia.com/wiki/Ninja_Type_Fubuki

Take your pick on your favorite kanji for her name :D I rather think the flower themed ones suit her better considering her equipment.

blade_anime
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: All of mine

Post by blade_anime » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Doesn't her name have official Kanji for it? I think they would be either on the special edition box or on the Konamistyle page.
Edit: Kazehana, lovely name. Hana and Kaze are two words in my very limited Japanese vocabulary. How do you get that sword anyhow? Isn't it an SPT shop item, and as of such, wouldn't really be Fubuki's equipment? Also, her Kanji meaning Snowstorm would also be somewhat fitting, as Tengu live in the mountains and her crow feet and (Special edition) black wings almost scream "Tengu."

Caterwaul
News Reporter

Post by Caterwaul » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Nope. Fubuki never got kanji for her name. Pure guesswork which means use whichever one you want.

Anyways, merrily we roll along. After a bit of a stop due to actually being busy at work...
Updated the entries for Valona and Werkstra
http://battlerondo.wikia.com/wiki/Devil ... ype_Valona
http://battlerondo.wikia.com/wiki/Angel ... o_Werkstra

I'm pretty sure カンベーリ (Kanbēri) is meant to be Russian, but I havent the first clue what. Need to find a suitable portrait pic for our little Succubus too.