gunpla and other model kits!

Talk about other toys we collect.
User avatar
Takashi
Class S Shinki
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm
Shinkis owned: 10
Favorite MMS/Shinki: ACH
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by Takashi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 am

v2gundam
Watched your review on YT, nice as always!

Have a question again, do you use primer? If yes, do you know how it applies on regular paint?

User avatar
v2gundam
Class S Shinki
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 8:36 am
Shinkis owned: 19
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval
Contact:

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by v2gundam » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 am

Takashi wrote:v2gundam
Watched your review on YT, nice as always!

Have a question again, do you use primer? If yes, do you know how it applies on regular paint?
In the case of Ryuhou, primer is used all over, because the base pastic is the wrong colour. From what I could tell, primer is essentially a slightly thicker paint that seems to stick well to most surfaces, so I basically get them in spray can form and apply it on the bare plastic as the basecoat. After that regular paint just go on top as normal. Probably not the absolute correct way to use it, but it seems to work.

If the model's bare plastic is accurate to what I need I would just paint the detail straight on without primer. Or if the plastic is too smooth/slippery for paint, a clear satin coat is put on as the "primer" before painting.
Image

User avatar
Takashi
Class S Shinki
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm
Shinkis owned: 10
Favorite MMS/Shinki: ACH
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by Takashi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:44 pm

v2gundam wrote:
Takashi wrote:v2gundam
Watched your review on YT, nice as always!

Have a question again, do you use primer? If yes, do you know how it applies on regular paint?
In the case of Ryuhou, primer is used all over, because the base pastic is the wrong colour. From what I could tell, primer is essentially a slightly thicker paint that seems to stick well to most surfaces, so I basically get them in spray can form and apply it on the bare plastic as the basecoat. After that regular paint just go on top as normal. Probably not the absolute correct way to use it, but it seems to work.

If the model's bare plastic is accurate to what I need I would just paint the detail straight on without primer. Or if the plastic is too smooth/slippery for paint, a clear satin coat is put on as the "primer" before painting.
And thank you very much again!
I plan to use Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer, hope it'll turn out good.

User avatar
blade_anime
Class S Shinki
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:55 pm
Shinkis owned: 5
MMS owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: All of mine
Location: New England

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by blade_anime » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Here's an opinion question, In your opinion, do you think that the MG Unicorn gundam looks better painted or unpainted? (Note, that this is if it were an average modeler painting it in its own colors, and "Unpainted" can include things such as paneling and minor details. "Painted" means "Paint was put on at least everything other than the translucent parts" not "A small amount of paint was used." "Unpainted" can also still have a simple topcoat finish, as in matte or gloss. As long as it's not colored paint.) In my opinion, The Unicorn looks better unpainted (With the possible exception of the inside of its horn and the eyes, but apparently even most people who paint still use the foil stickers for the eyes., and I suppose some people would prefer panel lines, but I think that the ones caused naturally on the figure are subtle enough)) because the sleek, monocolor plastic look just suits it. It should look totally smooth and unweathered! It helps to accentuate how high tech and out of place it is! Use of paint would be redundant and risk changing what makes it unique!
Image

User avatar
Takashi
Class S Shinki
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm
Shinkis owned: 10
Favorite MMS/Shinki: ACH
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by Takashi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:47 am

blade_anime wrote:Here's an opinion question, In your opinion, do you think that the MG Unicorn gundam looks better painted or unpainted? (Note, that this is if it were an average modeler painting it in its own colors, and "Unpainted" can include things such as paneling and minor details. "Painted" means "Paint was put on at least everything other than the translucent parts" not "A small amount of paint was used." "Unpainted" can also still have a simple topcoat finish, as in matte or gloss. As long as it's not colored paint.) In my opinion, The Unicorn looks better unpainted (With the possible exception of the inside of its horn and the eyes, but apparently even most people who paint still use the foil stickers for the eyes., and I suppose some people would prefer panel lines, but I think that the ones caused naturally on the figure are subtle enough)) because the sleek, monocolor plastic look just suits it. It should look totally smooth and unweathered! It helps to accentuate how high tech and out of place it is! Use of paint would be redundant and risk changing what makes it unique!
IMO your definition of "Unpainted" is more suitable here. First of all MG Unicorn is a good model by itself and I think it is not necessary to paint it unless you're trying to build a Banshee. By the way, I always use paint when it comes for the eyes.

User avatar
Drango
Class A Shinki
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:27 am
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling
Location: England

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by Drango » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:21 am

Time for a different kind of 'Gubpla':

From Kotobukia, the Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst RAcaseal Elenor!
Image
Image
Image
Image

She's about the same size as Shinki (a little shorter than Waffebunny, but quite a bit taller than Artille) and she has an excellent range of articulation. (very similar to MMS but the main differences are the waist, thigh and upper torso joints)

Also note that although I haven't painted the body at all (yet) the clear blue on the two guns are a small modification I've done which is really easy to do with a sharp hobby knife and some fine sand paper (I used the tab that I took off the sprue the clear stand from the SD Wing Gundam EW Ver came with) and the pistol has been painted, otherwise both these weapons would be entirely white plastic. She also comes with two other weapons: A saber and a sword (both about the same length, but the sword is wider) Both of which are entirely clear green so the handles need to be painted white on these.

One last thing to mention, she comes with a water slide decal sheet featuring all the different section symbols on it which is supposed to go in that circle on her chest, but since I'm planning on painting her I haven't used any of them yet.

Over all, she'll need a bit of paint to get her looking her best but she's still great as is!

User avatar
v2gundam
Class S Shinki
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 8:36 am
Shinkis owned: 19
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Arnval
Contact:

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by v2gundam » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:47 pm

Blade: I would also say Unicorn is best left unpainted, mainly because of all the moving panels on it that, if you are like me and like to mess around with the gimmick every now and then, any paint of the white parts will simply wear off.

Drango: nice to see another person owning an Elenor model! Right now I'm split between what to build next. I got Elenor, Ikaruga, a EVOLVE version Hi-Nu, a Hasegawa Myzr Delta, a bunch of SD Gundam. And actually I got a half prepared resin model kit that I REALLY should go finish off...

I also pre-ordered the Racaseal Shino as well. I'm just now waiting for them to make the rest of the class. I want a Hucast (maybe Kireek?) or maybe even into Human and New Human characters as well! (hopeful thought)
Image

User avatar
halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am
Shinkis owned: 32
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval
Location: Manizales (Colombia)
Contact:

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by halconfenix » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Halconfenix' SD customs update:


first of all... my two chibi-zeros... (the newest is on the front)

Image
Image

i'm specially proud of how the pimped buster rifle came out... might end up swapping the beam saber though...



next is the gundam-ish crew of the transcomicversal Enterprise D (side project i'm working on): Lieutenant Quantico and Captain Krusher
Image



and finally what I think is how (more or less) the 00 quanta should have looked in the first place!

i'm calling this guy: Quantum Riser (or just quantum for short :P)
Image
Image
Image

one thing i'm a bit dissapointed about the SD quanta kit is the fact that the joints on the arm/shoulder/binder parts are less snap-fit and more of the "put it in and pray it doesn't fall off" type... maybe its the ball joint or the hole that its supposed to fit... i dunno


anyway... enjoy

User avatar
Drango
Class A Shinki
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:27 am
Shinkis owned: 12
MMS owned: 11
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Howling
Location: England

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by Drango » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Speaking of SD Gundams, I've been debating on getting a second SD Wing (EW ver) and a Wing Zero Custom to mash together into one for a more updated SD Wing Zero. The biggest issue with that though is how big Wing's buster rifle would be compared to Wing Zero's Twin Buster... I'd want to do something to get them to match in size a bit better... I also don't know how Wing Zero's backpack attaches in place compared to how it does on Wing...

User avatar
halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:00 am
Shinkis owned: 32
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval
Location: Manizales (Colombia)
Contact:

Re: gunpla and other model kits!

Post by halconfenix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm


Post Reply