nascar241993
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 2
MMS owned: 0
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Asuka, Mizuki

Re: [Flight Sim] - Flight Sim X & X-Plane

Post by nascar241993 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 pm

*** DALLAS-FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL ***
The biggest airport that is closest to my location, has had at least one very recognizable crash, where a Lockheed Tri-star crashed due to windsheer.
Piaggio Avanti at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Piaggio Avanti taking off from DFW International Airport by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Piaggio Avanti with Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport in the background by Nascar241993, on Flickr

*** CLEAR SKIES IN OTTAWA ***
My friend ArcticKitsune, who is the OP of this thread, has asked me to try flying X-Plane today and tomorrow due to (iirc) bad weather conditions. Sadly, I hopped on too late. The bad weather had already passed, and according to the in-game local map, there was a thunderstorm or heavy rain down to the south-west of my position.
Avanti over Ottawa by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti over Ottawa 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti over Ottawa 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti over Ottawa 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti on Approach to Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti on Approach to Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Avanti landed at Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International by Nascar241993, on Flickr

*** UNFAVORABLE WEATHER CONDITIONS, PART 2: VANCOUVER ***
About a week or so ago, I took a series of pictures flying through a fog-filled Ottawa titled "Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Ottawa" (or at least I think I called it that), well, here's the continuation, this time set in Vancouver. I wasn't able to fly through Ottawa while it had bad weather this morning, but at least Vancouver still had some, in the form of heavy fog.
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Note: ATC chatter is in the picture.
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver 5 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Unfavorable Weather Conditions in Vancouver 6 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

nascar241993
Class A Shinki

Post by nascar241993 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:56 am

*** UNFAVORABLE WEATHER CONDITION IN OTTAWA, PART 2!!! ***
Ok, so I finally managed to catch bad weather in Ottawa! First off, it started cloudy, then the rain finally hit.

Cloudy:
Columbia 400 over Ottawa by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 over Ottawa 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 over Ottawa 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 over Ottawa 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

Rain:
Columbia 400 taking off from Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 taking off from Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 taking off from Rockcliffe by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 5 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 6 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 7 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Columbia 400 Flying through rain over Ottawa 8 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

*** BONUS PHOTOS: B-2 SPIRIT ***
Managed to get some shots of the B-2 Spirit included with the sim. Note: This B-2 is from an older version of X-Plane, so the flaps are not animated and the glass is textured onto the fuselage.
Northrop B-2 Spirit over Ottawa by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Northrop B-2 Spirit over Ottawa 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Northrop B-2 Spirit over Ottawa 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Northrop B-2 Spirit over Ottawa 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Northrop B-2 Spirit over the clouds by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Northrop B-2 Spirit over the clouds 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

ArcticKitsune
Class S Shinki
Shinkis owned: 5
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Renge & Kohiru

Post by ArcticKitsune » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Kick-ass images Nas. You keep catching the weather I keep purposely missing on FSX. I did however get some of my own and I see you also used the B-2 Bomber after I did with my run-in. Well, more from the FSX side of things again!

-----

- FSX:

-> Testing out the Dash 7 plane at Boundary Bay Airport. Was going to fly it to Victoria Airport only to notice how slow it was so turned it towards Vancouver International. Everything was nice until the descending time. It simply refused to descend faster than -100 or so. It kept pushing to stay in the air, which in itself is nice but not when you want to land! The sounds are awesome and it handles well otherwise with awesome sound for a freeware. Quite a nice plane for a freeware, just need to find out how to force it to descend rapidly.

-> Flying the Airbus A400M because it is an awesome plane. It handles awesomely and it even looks awesome. Flew it from Boundary Bay Airport a few days after (Monday, January 21st, 2013) during foggy situations. It was nice until the fog settled into Seattle, Victoria, and Vancouver. Going to assume Boundary Bay was the only place cleared for whatever reason.

- Hello Seattle! Sure is cloudy hmm. Approached the 100 feet mark of the runway with the fog thickening up. It suddenly reduced the visibility to almost nothing. Luckily I had the lights to guide me in. Such an easy plane to land as well. Was also observing planes taking off and landing with only their landing lights visible in the distance.

Went to try out the B-2 bomber only for it to piss me off. It didn't have any custom sounds, refused to budge from the parking place and didn't have any flaps. It doesn't even have flaps and this was once payware? Screw that! I will however give positive points to the quality of the model, that it can fly, and behaves decently well....just absolutely stubborn in almost everything. I gave it the Strikemaster soundpack just so it wouldn't piss me off with the Bombardier default sound. Another problem with the plane is it enjoys speeding along in the sky with no real way of slowing it down besides air-brakes (spoilers).

Flew it from Seattle to Victoria Island only to force an abort landing due to fog. I nearly hit some trees, flew past the runway, and almost hit a few buildings. The fog was brutally thick and low. Didn't help it was dark. Flew to Vancouver Int doing three attempted landings, finally forcing it on the third from the East side.

I had the best moments with the A400M, not with the B-2 Bomber.

nascar241993
Class A Shinki

Post by nascar241993 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:32 am

*** CIRRUS VISION SF50 ***
One of the many planes included with X-Plane 10. This jet is a small jet that seats a few people. Its classification is very light jet. The Cirrus Vision SF50 is an interesting little jet. anyway, on to pictures:
Cirrus Vision SF50 above Ottawa by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 above Ottawa 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 above Ottawa 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 at Moscow by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 at Moscow 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 at Moscow 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50 at Moscow 4 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

*** CRASH LANDING IN MOSCOW ***
Due to an ice build-up on the plane, I ended up crash landing the Vision SF50 somewhere in a neighborhood just outside of Moscow.
Cirrus Vision SF50, crash landed outside of Moscow by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50, crash landed outside of Moscow 2 by Nascar241993, on Flickr
Cirrus Vision SF50, crash landed outside of Moscow 3 by Nascar241993, on Flickr

Conclusion of today's flight: Well, another feature of X-Plane was tested today in this session. Managed to crash land a plane (as in, slide across the ground to come to a complete stop). If I remember correctly, Flight Sim X never simulated this, instead, any contact with the ground resulted in an instant crash, then resetting the sim, though, I haven't played FSX in quite some time now, so I have no idea if this info is true or not.

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper
Shinkis owned: 32
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Space Shuttle Arnval

Post by halconfenix » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 pm

nascar241993 wrote:Conclusion of today's flight: Well, another feature of X-Plane was tested today in this session. Managed to crash land a plane (as in, slide across the ground to come to a complete stop). If I remember correctly, Flight Sim X never simulated this, instead, any contact with the ground resulted in an instant crash, then resetting the sim, though, I haven't played FSX in quite some time now, so I have no idea if this info is true or not.
you are right... FSX doesnt simulate crash landings... although there's a way around... if i remember right there's an option (aimed at new player, enabled by default after first install) that allow the plane to "bounce" instead of crash and reset... and as far as i know, that option must be enabled if you want to "fly" the 3d party "ground models" (aka: BMWs and other cars for fsx, as well as some boats) within the sim.

----------------------------------------

EDIT: feels good to be back to my (weird) roots... XD

currently testing some fixes with an X-wing... :P

i already fixed some DX10 related problems, but i still cant add new aircraft without getting sure the textures are DX10 compatible... (and let's not talk about add-on scenery :*( )

i still have to practice my landings though.... :eukrante:

nascar241993
Class A Shinki

Post by nascar241993 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 am

Nice X-Wing! I did have an X-Wing in on of the older flight sims (either FS2002 or 2004).

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper

Post by halconfenix » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:50 am

I have the Falcon as well... But sadly has that damned texture problem so i have to find a way to edit the textures and still retain the fx...

nascar241993
Class A Shinki

Post by nascar241993 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:10 am

halconfenix wrote:I have the Falcon as well... But sadly has that damned texture problem so i have to find a way to edit the textures and still retain the fx...
Nice on the Falcon! :)

Also, hope the problem could be fixed.

halconfenix
Official Tally Keeper

Post by halconfenix » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 pm

nascar241993 wrote:
Nice on the Falcon! :)

Also, hope the problem could be fixed.

thanks!

now let me show you all a little experiment i tried...

this is the FA-37 Talon from the movie "STEALTH" (easy to find on simviation if you know where to look)

it's a nice little plane... and its FAST!....

so i decided to try quick re-texturing experiment with it and see what i could come up with (needed to do that anyway since i need to know that right type of textures to make sure those are DX10 compatible)

this is the result:

i tried to duplicate a certain shinki's color scheme... i failed at some parts though....

but overalll the experiment worked as intended...

BONUS:

now all that's left is to have some extra time to rework those textures and see if i can do some ita-planes on FSX.... :biggrin:

pauldy
Class A Shinki
Shinkis owned: 3
Favorite MMS/Shinki: Vervietta

Post by pauldy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 am

-Arctickitsune: Your shots make me drool, making me wish I had a sparkling new rig capable of running FSX decently. Gues I should go buy a new PC since I have

====
Just tried a Russian bird for a spin again, the Su-27 called "Swan" by some V.V.S. personnel... otherwise known as the "Flanker"..

I was actually a Flanker Driver in Lock On before but somehow I lost my interest in the aircraft all together..
Probably one of the reasons that turned me off are the Slightly inferior electronics and Radar Guided missiles

This sim models the earlier 1980s standard, Su-27SK (or perhaps P? identifying Flanker designations is a nightmare!)
It uses the N001 Radar Pulse Doppler Radar.

Unlike the advertised modern Flanker radars, this older N001 system won't enable you to engage multiple targets simultaneosly

Simultaneous Engagements in otaku terms is like what they do in Macross...wherein the pilot can fire multiple missiles at multiple targets.. all at THE SAME TIME. OTOH the F-15 in Lock On does.. although it's only op to 4.

IRL All the teen Fighters F-14, F-15, F-16 and F/A-18 can probably do multiple target engagements too..

Anyway a Track While Scan Function would be moot if the launch platform uses a Semi-Active Radar Missile like the R-27 "Alamo" Unlike the more modern Flanker variants, the Su-27SK can only carry R-27Rs and ERs... being semi active missiles means that it needs the the launcher aircraft's constant radar lock to track it's target.

Unless you're flying a Mig-31 you're pretty much stuck to your target until your missile hits it.. Pretty disadvantageous I'll say..

Going back to Otaku terms, the missiles we see in anime are probably Fire and Forget Active Radar Missiles

...and that "bad cockpit" layout.. I mean why would designers put the SPO-15 Radar warning Receiver, a VERY IMPORTANT DEVICE... that warns the pilot of enemy radar and missile launches. ..on the freaking LOWER CORNER!

The system itself is pretty much analog already and why make the pilots job even more difficult by putting it on some far corner of the pit.

and lastly... No Autotrim... LOL You pitch up, you trim afterwards, you pitch down you trim afterwards
I guess the F-15 just spoiled me too much..

Although I haven't shown what the Su-27 does best yet...

Anyway back to the shots^
SU-27SK (me) vs..

F-4E Phantom (AI)

Phantom in range but I'm being lock up as well..

Missile Launch!

Time to counter. Missile Away!

F-pole whilst deploying Chaff and jamming his radar.

Trying To Break the AIM-7s lock while being careful not to break my lock on the Phantom.

Target destroyed.

Victory bank or something...

Helmet Mounted Sight + High Off Boresight R-73 and R-27ET Infra Red Missiles... I'll probably do it next time.. :fortbragg:
Last edited by pauldy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.